Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Chili


Thought I disappeared again? Well, I assure you I am back in the Kitch getting busy. I just uploaded some pictures from Brian's new camera to his computer upstairs. (Let me remind you my camera is pretty sad and my computer is broken, tucked away in a drawer.) So excited to share some of my most recent recipes with you. I also will remind you that my broiler is still spontaneous and kicks itself on just for the heck of it. I call this sort of phenomenon part of "real adult life" and it just keeps getting realer...(is that a word??)
So, it's a given I am facing several problems in my kitchen. My eyes will be watching that oven like a hawk and I will be trying my best to upload decent pictures.
Yesterday, I didn't want to fix dinner because I was just chapters away from finishing my latest book, The Help. I could hardly put the book down. Eventually, I shut the book and ventured into my dysfunctional kitchen.
Last week I saw Ina (surprise, huh) making a "Lite" meal for her friend, another cookbook author. I couldn't get over how EASY, simple and great this "chili" sounded. Last night I pulled together a little version of my own. I can't wait to eat it for dinner again tonight.


Chicken Chili
serves 4 at the very least

2 large onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed then chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
A few pinches of Cumin, Cayenne Pepper and Red Pepper flakes
1 large can(28oz) San Marzano tomatoes, peeled and undrained with basil
1 (14 oz) can whole stewed tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon of Jalapeno Tabasco
Cilantro
Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper
Tortilla Chips
Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Grated
3 petite boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
On a baking sheet, lay out chicken. Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast chicken for about 30-35 minutes or until cooked through. Sit out to cool.
While the chicken is cooking, saute onions until translucent in a large pot. Add garlic and cook for a few mintues. Add peppers, along with spices and plenty of salt and pepper.
In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes. Pour into the pot and bring to a boil. Add in cilantro and jalapeno Tabasco. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Once chicken has cooled, cut into bite size pieces and add to pot. Let cook another 20 minutes, seasoning too taste. Garnish with cheese, tortilla chips and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment