Monday, November 1, 2010

Herb Marinated Pork "Log"

A few years ago my mom regularly starting buying pork tenderloins from Costco. Because of the shape, my brothers called them "Pork Logs." The term stuck and the Johns clan has been lovingly referring to tenderloin as "Pork Log" for quite some time now. While the name sounds pretty disgusting, tenderloin is a great and affordable cut of pork! You can grill and roast this pork a million different ways, but the recipe that follows just happens to be my absolute favorite! Usually, when using a recipe from a cookbook or TV show I change something to make the flavor my own, more unique or more flavorful. This is an exception!! This recipe comes from Ina Garten's Back to Basics book that I believe all home cooks should have! The whole point is that cooking and flavors should be basic and simple. Herb Marinated Pork Tenderloin is the perfect example of basic flavors cooked simply! I have cooked this for friends more then once, and all have been happy and satisfied!! Last week, my friend Judy came to visit from California. I have known Judy since I was in high school, and I used to eat food from her fridge and pantry. One time while visiting, I said I felt like eating a piece of cake. A few days later, when I visited there was confetti cake out on the counter in the kitchen. How great is that??!! This time... I wanted to cook for Judy!!! I knew I wanted to stay in with Judy, because staying in is always more fun...more wine, no tipping, seconds and thirds and a night sitting around the table that never has to end!! Great food is always best when shared with good company, this dinner was a nice reminder of all of our friends back home...whom we love and miss.
Serves 4-5
Ingredients:
2 pork tenderloins
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice from 5 lemons
Olive Oil
6 cloves, minced garlic
1.5 tablespoons rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons Dijon
Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a ziplock bag. Ina says this ensures the pork is surrounded by all the flavor! Let marinate overnight in fridge or for at least 3 hours.
You can cook the tenderloin a few different ways. A favorite of mine is to grill the tenderloins. Y0u can also roast them at 400 degrees until cooked thru about 25 minutes.
A great way to cook them though, is to sear them on all sides in a saute pan with hot olive oil. Once all sides are golden brown, place the saute pan directly in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes or until meat reaches temp of 137 degrees. Take out to rest and cover with foil. Let sit for 10 mins. Slice diagonally. Salt and pepper just before serving!



No comments:

Post a Comment