Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Best. Sandwich. Ever.


Roasted Veggie and Goat Cheese Sandwich

When I was in high school, my mom had the inspired idea to make one giant hamburger and cut it like a pie, instead of 5 individual hamburgers on individual buns. (It was not unlike the one giant pancake I had at a sleepover when I was a kid. Ew). It was so big, that the giant hamburger wouldn't even fit on a plate. My mom had to serve it from a cutting board. I still don't know how she flipped that monstrosity on the grill? Slicing into the five inch by ten inch burger with a huge bread knife, and hitting us all up with a good size wedge. My brothers and I made some serious fun of the giant hamburger, and needless to say...it was never served again. Now, as an adult I think the giant family hamburger is kinda cool. I wanted to change it up a little, and put my own twist on the family sandwich.
I purchased some amazing goat cheese last week and thought pairing that with some oven-roasted veggies and fitting between a big roundloaf and then slicing like a pie would make for a fun meal. And, it was even better than I thought. Although, when B asked what was for dinner I said "Veggie Sandwich" and he said "What kind of meat?" If you or your man require a protein grill up a chicken breast and layer it on the sammy.
Serves 2-3 depending on how many wedges you cut.

Ingredients
1 Rustic Italian Roundloaf (really any good crusty bread will...as long as it is round)
2 summer squash sliced lengthwise (hot-dog style)
1 zucchini sliced lengthwise
1 red pepper
2 tomatoes from the vine sliced
1/3 red onion cut in rings
1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
Handful of arugula
Any amount of goat-cheese
1 garlic clove minced
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Thyme

Note: you will have extra veggies left over. Put them in a tupperware and eat them with romaine lettuce and a few drizzles of olive oil, for a great lunch.

Set oven to 425 degrees and layer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, red onion, red pepper and fresh tomatoes on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a good amount of salt, pepper, and thyme. Drizzle olive oil over the veggies. (Don't skimp, but don't douse, you don't want them dry, but you don't want them swimming in oil either) Place on rack near the top of the oven. Cook for 15ish minutes, watching them closely. You want some of the edges to get a bit charred, giving the veggies that roasted flavor. In the meantime, cut the roundloaf down the center, tear out a bit of the bread in the center of the top half. Drizzle both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Cover the bottom layer with the sun dried tomatoes and minced garlic. Place top back on bread and wrap in foil. Place in oven until the veggies are done.
When veggies are done, take them out of oven and allow them to cool slightly. Open up bread in foil and start placing a menagerie of veggies on the bottom half. You can get crazy and layer high, as the bread is strong won't sog out. On the top half, put a liberal amount of goat cheese. The amount is really up to you, as it has a strong flavor. I used at least 2.5 tablespoons. Cover the top half with a handful of arugula. Place both sides together, transfer to plate and cut into wedges. Serve immediately.


3 comments:

  1. This sounds DELICIOUS! I will definately make a version of this....yummo!
    ( and you should of never made fun of your mom's extra large hamburger...she's cooking genius!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first recipe that I tried. I used a whole loaf of Focaccia bread and needed ALL the vegetables. I also used too much EVOO....I think you scared me a bit, but it was still a "hit" with my family.
    How are you doing in Denver?

    ReplyDelete