Thursday, April 14, 2011

What Happened on Colfax Avenue

Something happened the other day. I cannot get over it.
Colfax Avenue is this giant street that runs from Aurora to Golden.The Safeway I visit is off Colfax. On Tuesday, after stocking up on a few groceries I hopped in my orange car and exited the parking lot with my right blinker clicking away. My light was red and approaching my direction was an old beat up car with it's blinker clicking away. It appeared as though the beat up white car was just about to turn right onto the street where I was coming from. So, I turned right.
BUT, instead of turning right like the blinker on the beat up car suggested, the car blasted through the light just barely missing me, changing lanes in the process. The man started honking his horn as he swerved to avoid me. Mind you, this wasn't a James Bond swerve it was a typical everyday swerve. He sped up to get up next to me just as I was about to make a U-turn. He pulled up closer on my right side. Closer. Closer. The man was inches, if not centimeters from my car.
The driver and his passenger were hanging their whole bodies out the driver's side window. I made eye contact only once. I was trapped. I was afraid if I made the U-turn my car would scrape against the fake-out blinker man's car. He was yelling obscenities at me. Words that start with F and B and C!!! He also referred to me as white(at least he got one thing right), as a whore and other horrible, terrible, terrible things that I cannot repeat. He kept screaming and I kept inching my way forward trying to get out of there. Finally, as I peered to see his status, he lifted his arm and throw a small metal box at my car. It hit the roof of the car(which is all glass) with a giant thud. He continued to yell. I pressed the gas and did a U-turn that Jason Bourne or James Bond or any other bad ass would have been proud of. Then, I started crying. I turned down neighborhood streets, peering out my rear view for a view of the scary man in the crappy car. I lost him, I don't know if he was following me. I was crying as I tried to call Brian. He didn't answer. I finally got a hold of my mom and told her what happened thru my sobs. It wasn't the fact that I almost got into an accident. Because, I didn't. An accident didn't happen and it was pretty far from happening minus the man having to change lanes because he was unaware his blinker was telling other drivers he was turning right when he was not. What I can't get over is the way he spoke to me. No one, ever, has said any of those things to me. At least not to my face. No one has yelled with their fists in the air and their face full of fury that I was a "F*&$# White Bitch" (and that was the nicest thing he said to me.) I have never in my life seen someone full of so much hate and anger over NOTHING. I started to think about all the times I have had to switch lanes or slam on my brakes. I imagined Brian or my Dad or my brothers after such an incident, hanging out of their cars yelling and screaming and harassing a woman.
I was thinking even if I had caused an accident, even if whatever happened was my fault, there was no excuse for the man and his passenger to speak(if you can call it that??) the way they did. Now, I feel sorry for those men. I feel sorry for the way they live their lives, the way they speak to strangers, to women. I feel sorry for all the issues they will face because of their diction and their behavior and their anger. I feel sorry they are absolutely unaware of their freaking blinker clicking away because their car is so junky. I pity them because they probably don't have insurances or licenses and certainly not girlfriends. I pity them because karma, actually, is the one whose the bitch.

4 comments:

  1. how terrible katie! so sorry this happened.

    Can't imagine how these men would behave if they actually DID get into an accident. sheesh. glad that wasn't the case with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks my friend! I'm so sorry, I'm glad you were able to get out of there! I was recently yelled at by a man at work, and it totally threw me too! I'm just not used to be spoken to so disrespectfully, and it wasn't even close to what you went through. So I guess my point is, I get it a little bit and it totally sucks. And I miss you like crazy!
    Shelbey
    (And I'm posting anonymously because my google account is screwing with me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is terrifying, Katie. But there wasn't anything you could have done different, but that doesn't make it any less scary. Good Grief. Love ya, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about ultimate victimizing. Did he look like "SP"...? Maybe the high school victimizers are growing up...Well except those men are NOT grown up in the slightest...gross. I feel sick in my stomach reading this. I'm sorry friend.

    ReplyDelete