Thursday, March 10, 2011

Banana Bread


This morning I found myself with a few overripe bananas on my hands and a few hours of downtime. I couldn't stand the thought of tossing out the bananas. So, what better way to utilize them then classic banana bread?? I have made a few different recipes over the years, (because I always have overripe bananas) but I still think nothing beats a good old classic. Nothing fancy about this bread.
Banana Nut Bread
8-10 slices
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large overripe bananas, (or 4 smaller) I think the browner the better
1.5 sticks unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.
Mix flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in mixing bowl. Set aside. In another small bowl mash 1 (or 2 if using 4) of the bananas with a fork. Set aside. Using your mixer, mix the remaining bananas with the sugar until really creamy and smooth. Slowly add in eggs, butter and vanilla. Mix again until smooth. With mixer running, very carefully and slowly add in flour mixture. Mix (again) until smoooth and thick. Remove mixer. Fold in chopped walnuts and bananas from the small bowl. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The bread will rise quite a bit and will crack in the last half of baking. Don't worry, cracked banana bread is totally normal!

*Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence's Classic Pecan Banana Bread as seen in Family Meal. I used less bananas, walnuts and added nutmeg.

2 comments:

  1. personally.... i hate banana bread... but yours looks okay.. oh wait, nevermind... now you really just made me dislike banana bread. thanks. would've been better off throwing them out...


    love, matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!!! I LOVE YOUR BANANA BREAD!!!! I tried making it today, and it was so fabulously great!! But probably not as good as yours.. cause your great... I love you.. bye..

    ReplyDelete