Friday, October 8, 2010

Homemade Marinara


This is a simple marinara that goes with plenty of dishes. Although I made it a day ahead of time to go with my Beef Braciole. The overall recipe is from my mom and she uses white wine instead of red, to keep the sauce light and fresh and yummy! If you prefer red, use a red like Chianti. Keep this basic recipe on hand, if you desire a mexican kick to your marinara add cilantro and chilis. (Don't do that today, if using for Beef Braciole!!) Use it to pair with roasted veggies and polenta...That recipe will be coming up in the next few weeks. or skip the wine and add a few carrots for a simple tomato sauce.
JUST A NOTE:
(In my everyday cooking, I don't use a recipe all to often. You'll notice that I say things like "drizzle" "dash" and "dollop". More times than not, I get inspired by a recipe and taste cook from memory. Cooking this way lets you control the flavor of your meal and allows you to become more comfortable in the kitchen. When I post a recipe on my blog, most of the measurements are my estimations of what went into the meal. But, take note because I am cooking for two and cooking to taste. I encourage you to start cooking to taste. Pour oils right out of the bottle, sample flavors in your pots and pans as you go, adding what you need. Just go for it, and your cooking confidence will improve!! Plus, you'll have lets utensils to clean if you forego all the tedious measuring!!!)
Ingredients:
2 tabs good olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
A few garlic cloves, smashed with knife, then chopped
1/2 cup or more of white wine, chicken broth or even water
1 can(28 oz)San Marzano crushed tomatoes
1 tbs parsley
2 tbs fresh thyme leave
a few Basil leaves, chopped
Kosher Salt and Pepper
Heat olive oil in sauce pan, add the onion and cook until soft, then add garlic and cook a few more minutes. Add the herbs to the pan and cook a few minutes. Add wine and cook on high, scrapping the bottom of the pan. Empty tomatoes into pan and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment